Wednesday, 16 May 2012

Wimpy King

Today we meet one of the Court cards from the Magic Manga Tarot (AGM Müller, 2008).  They are all pretty young things, which doesn't necessarily thrill me.

For example, this King of Cups is rather wimpy looking, in my eyes.  A bit of a foppish dandy, who looks somewhat disgruntled with life.  He doesn't yell "King" to me - he could just as easily be the Page!  He lounges on a seat, cup in hand, looking moodily up at us, with a draped white shirt and cravat, a blue waistcoat, and turquoise trousers.  Really, he's a bit of a drip!

So, perhaps he encapsulates some of the more negative traits of the King of Cups.  Moody, sulky, getting caught up in his emotions and washed away by them, and unable to act because of it.  That does sound more Page of Cups-ish, actually, but I think the King, with his slightly rigid and controlling approach to emotion, can end up in that place, too, in bad conditions.

A warning, then, to beware of being too rigid, and ending up bad-tempered.  My mum is coming over for a visit this afternoon, and I wonder whether this card is a warning about Big Boy becoming overwhelmed with too much attention...

I am grateful that emotions aren't always cause for poutiness.

7 comments:

  1. It's a pretty card, but I see what you mean. I had that problem with the Fenestra Tarot. The courts are beautiful, but all so young and alike: I got so little from them and their visual lack of life experience. I haven't used my Selina Lin birthday gift deck yet, but they all look very much like this too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi PLN,

      Yes, not a mature person in sight on the Fenestra! Made my reading of the Ten of Pentacles very different, for example, no sense of history and family, just of coupledom... Next week's Lo Scarabeo Manga has more varied Courts, I think - have you checked out the review? :)

      Delete
    2. I know. I so like the Fenetra courts, since they are very attractive, but for readability, I find they have little depth: mainly because they all look so alike.

      Just about to go check out your review!

      Delete
  2. I like him. I think he is Arthur in his first year as king. All emotions and rash decisions. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a very charitable reading, Arwen :) Still, I guess Arthur was pretty young when he came to the throne - as in some ways many of the past heroes and kings were, given life expectancy back then...

      Delete
  3. He was the boy king after all. :D

    ReplyDelete