Thursday, 21 June 2012

Celebrate the Sunrise

Image from English Heritage
Welcome to the Summer Solstice round of the Tarot Blog Hop!  If you found your way here from US Games' site, you will already have experienced some card-based delights.  If not, you could hop back that way, or check out who's next at the bottom of this post.  And if you're feeling a bit lost, there's a master list of all the stops on this journey here.

Today, at Stonehenge and around the country, people gather to celebrate the sunrise on this, the longest day of the year.  In part, this celebration is also a goodbye - from here on out the days get ever shorter until we reach the Winter solstice.  This is part of the cycle of the seasons, the way the world turns.  Thinking about it, I feel drawn to acknowledge the power of change.

And so, for this Midsummer Blog Hop, I decided to do a short-but-sweet "Last Hurrah" spread on what is ending and how to celebrate it.  Once again, I'm using the Wheel of the Year Tarot (Lo Scarabeo, 2011) as it so perfectly fits this theme :)

©Maria Caratti and Antonella Platano
1)  What in my life deserves a last hurrah?  Princess of Pentacles

Huh!  Although the coin counting doesn't chime much with me, this Princess with writing quill in hand does make me think about studying.  And in just a couple of weeks I finish the last term of my Masters in Psychotherapy and Counselling.  This being the Princess of Pentacles, rather than Swords, also makes sense as a lot of the course is practical, and in fact the "academic" part ended last December - since then I have been focused on my client work and the studying around that.

I've been so busy thinking about what will come after this, that I probably haven't taken the time to actually appreciate what ending this part of my journey means. So, perhaps now is the time to start planning a party to celebrate the end of this part of my life and training.  Anyone for a picnic? :)

©Maria Caratti and Antonella Platano
2)  How can I best celebrate it?  IV - The Emperor

After the party, though, and the end of term, my work as a counsellor won't just stop.  So, I can best celebrate the end of my Masters by realising that, from now on, I will have to set my own boundaries, and create my own structures to support my continued learning and practice.

This week in class, we discussed how to set up in private practice, and that is definitely an Emperor-type pursuit.  I'm not sure I quite feel prepared for it yet, but it's definitely the direction I'm heading in.  This card confirms that, and tells me I'd better get my business head on!

I hope you'll let me know if you give this Last Hurrah Spread a whirl.  And do carry on round the Blog Hop trail: the next hop will take you to Rowan Tarot's up-lifting blog :)

14 comments:

  1. What a strong combination of cards you drew! The Page appears to be turning into The Emperor, her focus moving from the page to the outside world. All the Kings can represent mastery of a particular subject, and The Emperor does too but his mastery has a greater impact on the world. Just look at how authoritative he is, yet he also seems warm and approachable. This might be the first time I've seen The Emperor in this way. You must be feeling really proud of yourself for having come this far! Definitely take some time to celebrate your achievements. The grapes in the Page card say there needs to be wine and the sunrise/sunset behind The Emperor says to make it a great celebration ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,

      I love your interpretation: her focus moving from the page to the outside world. And I will definitely celebrate in a couple of weeks time, when my last paper is handed in :D

      Delete
  2. Chloe, that's very impressive. I love the Princess looking at what she has left and figure out how to grow that. Then the Emperor? Pretty clear message about you taking charge and getting LARGE! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Arwen,
      Hmm, depends on what sense of LARGE we're talking ;) I like your interpretation of the Princess, figuring out how best to work with what she's got...

      Delete
  3. I gave it a whirl! Got a King of Cups and Ace of Cups. Used the Witchy Tarot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trish, how interesting. I'd interpret that as acknowledging where you've been a bit emotionally rigid, and then allowing a new emotional openness to take over :) Hope you had a beautiful solstice :)

      Delete
  4. Great interpretations of those cards for your own situation. I think when one is studying, one focuses entirely on the end result, rather than the whole process and yes, a picnic sounds like a great idea *packs her own fork and spoon*

    Ali x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, if you're in Lahndan next week it would be fab to see you! I'm guessing I might have to wait til October, though :b

      Delete
  5. A rather more solemn pair of cards than the wild abandon of my Fool :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno, Emperors are renowned for knowing how to live it up when they're not ruling the world ;b

      Delete
  6. How funny, the quill in her hand is what first drew my attention as well. I tried your spread and got the King of Wands and 4 of wands, with Temperance at the bottom.
    Congratulations on coming closer and closer to realizing your dream!

    xx,
    VK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi VK,

      Interesting cards - how do you interpret them? There's certainly a lot of passion/action there, and a need for a bit more balance...

      XOXO
      C

      Delete
  7. I enjoy a two card spread for quick answers. It usually jogs my mind a reminds me what I already know. Thank you...nice blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy,
      Thanks for the comment - I'm still making my way round, too ;) I used to think two cards was neither here nor there, but actually I enjoy two card spreads more and more :D

      Delete